Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
If your home is subject to a flood or water damage there are things you can do to help until professionals arrive. First and foremost you should take into considerations the safety of yourself and any pets. Don't let pets drink the water from sewage and don't try to clean sewage by yourself. Stop the flow of flooding water with towels, but, any towels used to stop sewage will have to be thrown out afterward.
Water Damage Safety
Water from a supply line or broken pipe will not be as dirty as sewage but could still be dangerous. Make sure to turn off electricity if you have water coming from lights in the ceiling or if close to electrical appliances. Call the professionals and we'll be there to make it "Like it never even happened."
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (801) 298-4272
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.